|Employer||Minnesota Department of Transportation|
|Job Type||Full Time|
At MnDOT, we are driven to find talented, innovative employees for Minnesota's nationally recognized transportation system. How would you like to serve as a Construction Inspector? You will assist the Chief Inspector on a significant portion of complex projects by completing complex inspection activities to ensure successful completion of projects, and so much more! Other duties include but are not limited to:
· Perform and/or direct frequent/routine field testing of construction materials (for example. grading and base, bituminous, and concrete), analyzes test results, and verify material quality and determine if construction materials meet MnDOT specifications.
· Performs construction inspections and verify the dimensions and tolerances of constructed roadway features to ensure conformance to plans and specifications.
· Performs required complex inspection activities of grading and base or bridge projects, and bituminous and concrete paving operations to ensure successful completion of projects.
· Reports known deficiencies to Chief Inspector and verifies corrections of known deficiencies to ensure the project complies with project documents.
· Monitors contractor and traffic control safety practices, ensures personal safety is protected, and ensures the project is completed using applicable safety practices, rules and programs.
· Provides work direction to assistant inspectors and/or student workers in gaining required technical skills through MnDOT's technical certification program.
· Measures, computes, documents and enters pay items into Field Ops and determines amount of payment to contractor.
WHY WORK FOR US
We offer excellent employee benefits, such as low-cost health and dental insurance, and affordable dependent coverage. Other benefits include:
· 11 paid holidays per year
· Earn up to 29 paid vacation days a year
· Earn 13 days paid sick time
· Defined pension plan
· Paid life insurance
· Short & long-term disability available
· Training opportunities
· And more!
We work to build the best team in the transportation industry to ensure that Minnesota thrives with a safe, sustainable and leading edge transportation system. You will be surrounded by a diverse community of experts, each driven by challenging work and motivated by the greater good. You will understand the impact of the work you are doing and be able to see the benefit you are providing to the citizens of Minnesota. You can set your sights high and use your strengths to grow within the organization. MnDOT offers superior health and retirement benefits as well as a solid commitment to work-life balance, which provides you the tools to thrive both at work and outside of work.
Note: This position is posted at the Transportation Generalist Senior and Transportation Generalist levels.
Transportation Generalist Senior :
Two years of experience performing contract administration (roadway and/or bridge construction) activities or related activities;
A combination of one year of experience in any of the following areas: bridge maintenance, bridge safety inspection, contract administration (roadway and/or bridge construction), design, hydraulics, materials, soils, permits, planning, predesign, right of way, road surface/roadside maintenance, signs, surveys, snow/ice, and/or traffic engineering.
Note: A Two year Civil or Construction Technology Degree or the following four year degrees: Architectural, Civil or Mechanical Engineering; Land Surveying / Geomatics; or equivalent may substitute for one year of experience.
REQUIRED: (minimum certifications required at the time of hire or placement in the position)
Aggregate Production, Level I Concrete Field, Level I Grading & Base, Level I Bituminous Street, Level I Concrete Plant
Ability to obtain and maintain when available: Level II Concrete Field, Level II Grading & Base, Level II Bituminous Street, Bridge Construction Inspection 2, Erosion/Sediment Control Inspector/Installer
Transportation Generalist :
A combination of one year of experience in any of the following areas: contract administration (roadway and/or bridge construction), bridge maintenance, bridge safety inspection, design, hydraulics, materials, soils, permits, planning, pre-design, right of way, road surface/roadside maintenance, snow/ice, surveys, and/or traffic engineering. Credit will also be awarded for professional residential or commercial building construction.
A Two year Civil or Construction Technology Degree or the following four year degrees: Architectural, Civil or Mechanical Engineering; Land Surveying / Geomatics; or equivalent may substitute for one year of experience.
R EQUIRED : (minimum certifications required at the time of hire or placement in the position)
Aggregate Production and ONE of the following;